After doing the WR reading and reading the hypertext I think that I prefer reading straight from the book. I feel like reading books is something parents have their kids do to keep them off the computer and away from the TV, the hypertext combines technology with reading and takes away from what reading is all about. I felt the hypertext left out a lot of things that were in the book. Although the pictures in the hypertext were very cool and unique, I feel like they take away from your imagination. When reading about architecture I feel like we should create crazy exaggerated pictures in our mind, but with the hypertext you can’t really do that. For example, I read the WR version first and had pictures of what things looked like in my head, but then when I read the hypertext all of my imaginations got kind of shattered.
The online text also makes it hard for me to stay focused. The links were distracting and I felt like I needed to read them all in order to get the full story. Reading the links made this assignment really drag itself out and made it a bit miserable because there was so much to read. Also, when doing any type of work online I have trouble staying focused on my task. I find myself going onto other sites like Facebook or Youtube constantly and my assignments take forever. I would definitely prefer just reading out of the book so I can stay on task and get my work done.
I do not think that Miller and Broumas writing would be as effective in a hypertext version. They give a lot of description and I think that pictures and links about other things would really take away from their work.
I found it hard to read the hyper text as well. It just doesn't feel natural to read a text like that of a computer screen. I also can relate to how you said that you found the pictures cool but took away an important aspect of why I think reading is cool. When I read I like visual the story in my head and let my imagination take over. I think thats what makes reading sometimes better than movies because each person who reads the stpry can get a different idea of what the scene described is going to look like.
ReplyDelete