Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Journal 2

The persona text I have chosen to analyze is an email that I wrote to my supervisor at work. The email expressed why I would not be in for work that day . I made up the lie that I had rearranged some classes so I couldn’t show up, but the real reason was I felt terrible from the night before and had loads of homework to catch up. I have chosen to analyze this email because it hides the true meaning for missing work, so it will be somewhat easy to analyze, answering how and why I composed this email. I feel that many college kids form lies such as I did, whether it is for good or bad, it happens often. People may be able to relate to my email if they think of a time they lied for their own selfish desires. I feel that my text is much different than the text we saw of Lindsay Lohan. In the video of Lindsay Lohan she came straight out and said all of her problems, and was making jokes of them and acting sarcastically. In my email to my supervisor, I hid things, like Tapahanso. Tapahonso refused to speak her native language, and really acted much different than other people in her culture. She doesn’t let everything out due to the fear of being judged. I also did not let everything out in my email. In my email I said how I was so sorry that I had rearranged my schedule, yet I actually just felt too tired to work. If I were to be completely honest and straight forward in my email I would have most likely lost my job. Hiding things is sometimes necessary in order to get what you want. So, in this way I am much different than Lindsay Lohan. If I acted like her I would have said, “Yeah I had a wild night and just want to sleep, I’ll be in Friday.” People create different texts depending on their audience and situation, my text happened to form a lie. Analyzing my text will make me truly look at the motives I had while writing the email, and analyze the consequences.

Here's my email I am analyzing:

I am scheduled to work today from 11-2:15 as a front cashier. I needed to switch around some classes so this morning I changed into a 12:30-1:45 class, so I will not be able to come into work today. I will be in Friday, as scheduled, and would like to be considered for a permanent position. Sorry about this inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Kyle Hadinger

2 comments:

  1. I like that you are using a different type of text than most of your classmates. It should make for an interesting paper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way your comparing how you and Tapahonso both withheld certain information in your text in order to protect yourself in a way but still get the main picture out there. I agree that the Lindsay Lohan approach probably wouldn't have conveyed the right message as well as the Tapahonso method.

    ReplyDelete